Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Gift of Downtime

I’ve been on the couch nursing my right knee for a month now (stress fracture and tendonitis was the diagnosis, but neither are severe), and I must say, it has been surprisingly refreshing to take a break from training. I sure was a mess the first week – depressed, longing for the trails, wondering if I was ever going to run again – but once I broke from the pattern, I was able to fill my running time with a bunch of things that could help maintain my balance and sense of adventure. Who knew it could be so much fun to NOT run?

I didn’t realize how addicting running can be until I was forced to take a break. It really is like trying to quit smoking or crack! Well, maybe not crack, but it's up there. My legs didn’t get the memo from the doc about a “mandatory month of rest”, and they would start shaking and twitching around 6am every morning, ready for that daily run. When they didn’t get their fix, they sent a message right to my brain – get depressed, angry, or something, but get back in the running groove! Finally Christi set me straight, and said I had to change my daily routine so I wasn’t “missing” my workouts. Much to my surprise, I found great satisfaction in doing housework, spending long chunks of time with Sophie, slow swimming, and reconnecting with Debby Weil who is recovering from her cycling accident.

One of the first things I wanted to do was give Christi, my wife, a break every day that I could. She has been great about giving me the time to train in the mornings and weekends, and I wanted to return the favor even if she doesn’t obsess about exercising like me. I made sure I was the first up in the mornings, feeding Sophie breakfast (or “breckee” as we call it), washing dishes, cleaning up, etc. Christi spent the time sleeping in, working out, or reading a magazine that had been gathering dust for months. On the occasional weeknight, I took Sophie out on “dinner dates with Daddy” to give Christi some time to catch up with friends. Turns out it is quite a work out! I certainly have a new appreciation for the sacrifice Christi and Sophie make just so I can get my daily run fix.

(Sophie and Daddy at a wedding in Colorado)

I have spent a lot more time with Sophie in the last month, and it has been wonderful to experience our bond grow. She’s almost one year old, and changing every week (not walking yet, but darn close). It was nice to have her for big blocks of time, and be able to hit the zoo, walks in the park, going to weddings, try out new words, etc., instead of constantly wondering how I could fit her in or around my workout schedule. No surprise, I have more photos on HER blog these days. ;-) If you’re a running blogger with an entry in the last month, Sophie has probably heard your adventure read out loud (that means you, Vermont 100 winner AJW, Olga the 12-hour dominator, Peter Lubbers the Ultrarunner.net leader, Jean Pommier touring France, Mark Tanaka chasing ghosts, Rick Gaston mastering the Headlands Hundred, and many more!). It’s been great to live vicariously through you all, and Sophie hangs on your every word.

Christi was quick to point out that I might enjoy some light swimming, if anything just to get my heart rate up for a few minutes. I joined the gang at Ladera Oaks during the noon hour, plodding along in the slow lane and doing lots of pool running. Turns out that pool running can be quite a workout for the heart and muscles, without the strain on your bones and joints. Water aerobics is not for wimps! Christi was right – my mood improved, even with 1-2 pool sessions per week.

I also made a pact with myself to make time to meet Debby Weil, the cyclist who had been in an accident on Memorial Day weekend (read blog post here). We had exchanged voice mails since she got out of ICU in late June, but I never seemed to have the time to stop by and see her. Perhaps part of this was due to the fact that I knew she was still in bad shape – how could she not be? But wouldn’t I want visitors if I was strapped to the couch? Absolutely, so I called her up and scheduled some time. When she opened her door to welcome me into her home, I simply couldn’t believe it – she looked great! I had to apologize for staring, because I was having a hard time seeing “Debby from the accident” somewhere behind her glowing smile. Over the next few hours, she told me about the insane recovery (four weeks in ICU, more surgeries than I could count, 19 plates in her head and arms, taking 5 days to learn to swallow again, a new nose and chin, learning to grasp a cup all over again, etc.) and how she still has a ways to go. But to me, the fact that she could be alive with her sense of humor intact was nothing short of a miracle. I gave her some ultrarunner tips on how to stomach Ensure (blended with fruit and almond butter is best), and shared tidbits of the accident that she was curious about but thankfully doesn’t remember. She wanted me to pass on a thank you to all of you who wished her well and kept her in your thoughts and prayers. I was simply aglow when I returned to work. She is the closest thing to an angel I have ever experienced, and I’m hoping we can stay in touch.

The x-rays and bone scans are good and the docs have cleared me to run again (right after the mandatory speech about how people shouldn’t run that far, yada, yada). So I’m ramping up slowly, being careful to step cautiously and not hit the hills too hard. So far no pain but my stride is as awkward as a newborn giraffe. It’s good to connect with the trails again, but I’m setting my clock extra early so I can get back in time for breckee with Sophie and hopefully the snoring sound of my wife. This last Sunday, I took them both out on a date instead of worrying about the long run. I’m going to stick with the pool sessions to do my “speed work” – there is definitely a link to running stronger in there, but I need more experimentation. Looking forward to seeing you all again soon, refreshed and ready to run!

SD

20 comments:

  1. It's great that you've been able to take the mentally difficult challenge of not being able to run and make it into something positive. Hope to see you on the trails soon!

    -Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very neat post - it's great to see what a speedy trail runner does when he's not running. I don't know if this would be awkward or not, but perhaps someday you could add Debby to your list of interviewees - that would be a good read. Good luck as you resume running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post to read, Scott. And enjoy sophie- they grow up sooooo fast. You are young and should have decades of running ahead of you....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Scott! Glad to know things are going well and than you have had important time with Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a feeling your body will thank you later for the time "off".

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post, Scott. Nice to hear you were able to get through your recovery time without going crazy - I'm sure the extra time with Sophie will be cherished forever. And nice to hear you are back running again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post...as a Dad to a 2-year-old girl, I can attest to the difficulties of trying to be a good Dad, husband and trail runner all at once. I ran Massanutten this year, and I think my daughter loved getting to see the outdoors and getting to see me run into different aid stations...so once you're back in full gear, and as Sophie keeps motoring toward 2, it will be time to run another 100! Best of luck in your ongoing recovery, and congrats again on your first 100 that you completed wounded warrior style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear you are not only recovering well and smart, but also filling time with family instead of depressing. Injuries are often a gift from above to see things around differently, as I am entering this stage too:) Sphie is a darling, and she'll always "feel" this bond with you. I should leran from you how to "ramp up slowly", so post often (or email).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea about an interview with Debby - I bet you guys would find it compelling. I will ask her and see what she thinks. Great pic with the dogs, Andrew!

    Olga, you wouldn't believe how slow my "slow ramp" is. My first day, I ran two whole laps around a track! It's so odd to see "four mile long run" on the schedule for that Saturday...how quickly perspective can change! I'm adding 50% more each of the next two weeks, but will scale it down if it feels tight.

    SD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Scott,
    Very glad to hear you're doing well. I am sure Christi and Sophie are enjoying the new lifestyle ;)
    Take care,
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes!!! 2 laps and 4M...man, you are my hero, and help me God to be any near good as you are in following this regime:) John Pearch did it same way. May be you guys are onto something...been healthy and strong that's for sure. OK, I'll se what I can do about it, right now I am still off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to know your recovery is going well Scott. Looks like you're getting alot of Daddy time (always a good thing).

    Has anyone ever interviewed/inquired you on how you're able to maintain balance? I mean, triathlons & ultras while being a CEO of a growing e-Commerce business, a pretty prolific blogger of things that are of the ultrarunning world (I bet you probably get more hits than TrailRunnerMag.com and Ultrarunning.com), and being a family man - weekend warrior is an understatement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Scott!

    It's good to hear that your recovery is coming along well and that you are more than making the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Btw, I love Jon's idea of interviewing you. Everything you do is amazing to a lot of us. I would volunteer to administer the interview (you normally conduct them via e-mail, right?). You could then post it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice post! I'm glad you're able to find the gifts in the downtime. Sounds like Christi is quite intuitive regarding changing your routine! And I bet Sophie is really enjoying brekee with you! Good luck on your recovery - most of us, I am sure, have been there and some of us are there again for various reasons. Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans. ;-) Enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad to hear you're doing better! i was actually out running and was wondering how the stress fractures were healing up on ya.

    quite nicely, it sounds like! looking forward to hearing about more of your adventures soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Still not able to safely run from stupid calf strains on Sunday, I feel for you and your withdrawal. We are all a bunch of addicts.

    Sophie's cute, but sorry, my son has too many older women (ages 3 and 4) after him in his daycare, not assuming she's looking. You've probably been told this, but this next year of fatherhood gets even better, so much more fun. Enjoy it.

    I'm really glad you followed up and connected with Debbi. I think most of us who read that post wanted to know that she was doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jon and Dave - I'm flattered you would want to do an interview, and would definitely be open to it. Dave if you want to coordinate, I would be happy to do it. I'm at scottdunlap [at] yahoo.com.

    Be sure to send Dave your questions!

    SD

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post just made my day Scott. First of all it was great to hear you make the adjustment. You made the time productive and dare I say unforgetable with the time you've had with your daugther. It was also really good to hear about Debby Weil. Thanks for the update. As a person who spends time on the bike too her story really stuck with me. Looking forward to seeing you on the trails again.

    P.S. From what I've read and heard from friends, water running is one of the best things you can do.

    ReplyDelete

I LIVE for comments! Please add your thoughts, let me know you stopped by, etc., and be thoughtful of others. Always best if you sign your name, of course.

Latest Excursions